Sunday, August 30, 2026

Paizo Iconics - Shardra Geltl

I have little to no interest in the shaman class, and Shardra Geltl is one of the worst of an already sorry collection of iconics. Written by Crystal Frasier, a very confused man who presents himself as if he were a woman, it seems that Shardra is the same; a dwarf man who was confused and self-indulgent and decided because of the "spirits" or whatever, that he was actually a woman. The backstory is one of the most over-wrought, self-indulgent trite pieces of trash that I've read even in this kind of short game-related fiction, where those flaws are not uncommon. "Crystal" wasn't courageous enough to be too clear about this, though, so there's the (slim, but not impossible) possibility that I'm misinterpreting. But I don't think so.


Not only that, the design. What in the world is he wearing on his head? Is that stone? Bone? Bronze? And that weird lizardy thing is called a tuatara, which it mostly certainly is not. I've seen real tuataras, and they look nothing like that. 

What a disaster. I'm reading (as of the time of this posting) the Second Darkness adventure path, which is one of the really early ones; written before the Pathfinder RPG was even conceived, so it's still just a D&D 3.5 product. It's still painfully woke, and sadly, they only got worse from there.

No comments: