Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Gaming update

Well, I had an interesting evening last night. We were supposed to meet for Tyranny of Dragons, the game that I'm a player in, but two of the four players couldn't make it kind of last minute due to work issues. (The DM and other player are husband and wife, and we play at their house, because they have a highly autistic young son, and can't really lave him.) We decided that I'd come anyway, and we did an interesting round-robin DM experiment; I pulled up a 2nd level character that I'd created for another one-shot and still had in my D&D Beyond character list, and we took turns running the game; passing the torch when we felt like it was fun. The rules were that we put our character kind of "to sleep" when we were running, but I ended up running at the very end when we were at the finale, and I let my character fight in the boss fight, because we needed him (and I took a bit of a beating anyway. Probably saved the other characters a lot of grief by absorbing attacks that otherwise would have TPKed them.) It was a lot of fun. I had an older image of this character, but I made some minor updates to it for this one-shot. I'll keep him around. I think he's a lot of fun to play.

My one-shot low level character, Kazar Thorn

The more interesting thing that happened is that the group that I'm not really part of but which overlaps considerably with my group, found out that their campaign is well and truly over. The DM moved out of state and two time zones over, and is considerably more busy with work than he expected maybe to be. There was talk for the better part of a couple of months that he's try to keep running the campaign online, which is how that group started in 2020 during covid, apparently, but also apparently he admitted the obvious that it just wasn't going to work. I honestly thought that they'd make a good run at trying, but that after a few months, it would collapse under its own weight, and they'd all figure something else out instead. I had been running a stop-gap game, loosely adapting my own Cult of Undeath campaign to 5e, as best as I could, but I was never really intending to run it long term, but now without much warning, that's what it looks like it might be. I kind of laughed with these guys, as I'm pretty upfront about not actually knowing the rules for 5e, which is pretty rich given that I'm running a 5e game. I was OK fudging it as if it were a different d20 game (like 3e) while it was just a short-term stop game game, but if that ends up becoming the main campaign for the group, that's a little weird. I should either learn to run 5e, or run a different system that I'm more familiar and comfortable with, or defer to someone else to run while I play a different character. But I'm not sure which of those I actually want to do, so maybe I'll keep doing what I'm doing anyway. It's been working well enough so far.

That said, I've got more gaming going on now than I have in quite a while. Literally two sessions this week, in different campaigns, although one of them fell through and ended up being a one-shot experiment. I still had fun.

No comments: