Wednesday, September 23, 2026

5x5 Fronts progress... or lack thereof

In this post a couple of months or so ago, I laid out a schedule of updates, which I have slipped. I had actually forgotten that I'd even done that, and now that September is rapidly ending, I still haven't done what I said I was going to do in August. Time to recalibrate, I suppose. 

This one is done. I could run it, probably literally today. I don't want to run it in 5e, like I'm currently running, I want to run it in ideally my own Shadow of Old Night system, or as a consolation prize in my still incomplete, but I could finish it with a couple of hours tops, D&D 3.5 game which utilizes a few upgrades from PFRPG (1e).

Which I should also put as a goal; let's finish that house rule delineation, and then I have it ready to go.

This one is also complete, and I'm running a bowdlerized 5e version of it, although I don't like or really even know the 5e system. I've said many times before that I'm not sure what our current gaming scenario will look like, which is why I'm willing to do this, because it's kind of a stopgap until we figure out what we're really doing. I'd like to run this in a different way, though, again, with either of the two systems. Because this was (originally) meant to be an adaptation of Carrion Crown, I'm more friendly towards the 3.5/PFRPG hybrid system for this one, but I'd probably still prefer to run everything in Old Night.

I have a short "executive summary" style 5x5 or even 6x5 for this, but it needs to be fleshed out into a full-blown 5x5 Front before I could actually use it. I still want to do this before September is over, but the timing is getting really tight. It might more fairly be sometimes before October reaches the midpoint.

My original plan was to use the original Freeport Trilogy, plus any additional Freeport material, to make an even more overtly pirate-themed campaign than Terror In Timischburg was. I could still do that, and I've got plenty of material. I'd kind of like to read the Skull & Shackles adventure path before I commit a 5x5 down, but we'll see where it goes.

In spite of the fact that this is one of the original three campaign seeds, the other two of which are finished, I still don't have much of an idea of what exactly this one would look like other than that it's loosely based on the same concept as The Hangover. 

Originally mean to be a "mini-campaign", which I never really defined, this is really just a campaign idea set in the icy wastes of what is Hyperborea, probably at least partially inspired while playing SWTOR on Hoth and thinking that that was a cool environmental theme for a campaign. I really have no idea on an outline for it, though, honestly.

I should probably pull this one up in the timing given that I've already read Yig Snake Granddaddy and long ago I also already read Serpent's Skull. I'll probably do it after I get to my re-read of Serpent's Skull, which honestly isn't that far away. It'll come up relatively quickly in the trawl read of adventure paths, as soon as I get back to adventure paths.

Other than the high concept of this being an urban supernatural thriller, possibly as a hybrid of Curse of the Crimson Throne, Council of Thieves, and any other lingering Freeport material that I didn't use (and yes, I realize that those are technically all settings that rely on devils, not demons, but in Old Night, I don't care about that D&D-specific pedantry) this is only a vague idea and a theme so far. But after I read Council of Thieves, I think I'll have a lot of material to work with, so I'd like to start arranging it into something soon before I forget too many details of what I'd already read earlier.

I actually feel like I have a better idea of what I want this campaign to do than some of the others, although I lack source material to adapt it from... or at least, I lack source material that I've read either recently or so far at all. I have vague ideas of possibly adapting some of the material I have, like Sands of Doom, Mummies Mask, Legacy of Fire, or others, but I won't get those read for some time. Maybe I should just do this one as another original, like Darkness in the Hill Country.

Again, other than a theme; "Underdark" meets "Shadowfell", I don't have a great idea of what to do with this either, and I'm not so far really loving any of the Underdark campaigns that I've read, like Second Darkness or Out of the Abyss; or at least I'm not finding material in them that I want to adapt. I do have more material, but maybe this is another one best done as an original. 

No comments: