Monday, July 22, 2024

Punting #5: Burlharrow and the North Marches

What is going on? Once again, there’s news that’s so big that everyone will have to make a Will save to not comment on it. I guess I kind of failed since here I am mentioning it obliquely. However, given the chaotic and confused nature of what’s happening in current events, I’m not going to attempt to predict anything except the following:


Also, this link amuses me.  https://www.livescience.com/animals/birds/nearly-half-a-million-invasive-owls-including-their-hybrid-offspring-to-be-killed-by-us

The US government is going to kill half a million owls, including hybrid owls, for reasons that aren’t entirely clear. If you replace these owls, which come from another territory within the US, with migrant caravans of invasive people, or chain migration from Third Worlders who are here under dubious “legal” auspices, then for whatever reason the logic is completely turned on its head. If to protect the native population, the invasive population needs to be extirpated, well… y’know.

Let’s do our final Shadows Over Garenport punting post (well, penultimate. I guess I need to do the character specific fronts too before I’m done done.) This is the Burlharrow front, where the PCs go to the North Marches (or East Marches, as I’ve sometimes called them) which is nominally part of Northumbria, but which is also kind of new settlement, and its homesteaders and settlers are dubious about the government in Garenport, and would mostly prefer to be independent.) I’ve got a few characters; Gothbert Erhard, the lieutenant mayor and champion of the Sovereign political faction, which stressed independence from Garenport. Murchad Gibson is the Dockmaster, and champion of the Loyalist faction, which wants greater unity with Garenport. Berold Geissfalk is another figure here, a mercenary recruit from the south.




Next, we have the ratmen. I’ve included a few samples, including the scientist who’s developed the plague which is killed people in Burlharrow.





Next, we have the ghouls. I have a slightly different batch of “ancient” ghouls that are more relevant for Cult of Undeath stuff coming up; these are the “northern” ghouls associated with Burlharrow.






And finally, here’s Morcant Gunderic. I may have already posted him, because although he doesn’t actually belong to this front, he does belong to this area, and looking for him is probably the catalyst that would bring them to the North Marches in the first place.



No comments: