Friday, July 24, 2026

Another run for the border

Yeah, I've got another trip to Mexico. This time I'll be gone for two work weeks; Monday travel through Saturday travel (couldn't get a flight on Friday, for some reason.) Sigh. I will have spent three of four weeks in Hermosillo when I get back. To say nothing of the three (IIRC) trips I already took earlier since this "crisis" started. I'm ready to retire. I wish I could afford it. I saw a youtube video months ago from a relatively recently retired guy, who stated that the real reason to retire is so you don't have to spend so much of your time with people that you don't actually want to hang out with. Man, that hit hard.

Anyway, I've still got the same books, because I didn't finish them, in my backpack. Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting, the original setting book written long before the Pathfinder game was, so it's just a 3.5 compatible book, Oriental Adventures (the 3e version) and Prisoner of the Horned Helmet by James Silke. If I don't finish at least the novel, and hopefully also one of those game books while on this trip, I'm going to be really disappointed with myself. I'm also going to, I think, pack up the 5e PHB. I've been meaning to read it, and it just sits in my other gaming backpack normally, never getting pulled out, looked at or read. Might as well add it to the physical gamebooks queue by adding it to the backpack.

I also loaded a few of my pdfs on my work laptop in a temp files folder. I don't really like having personal files on my work laptop, but in this case, it's the only reasonable way to bring them with me on the trip (I guess I could put them on my older tablet, but I'd rather have them on my laptop, honestly.) If I have time to sit at the desk in my hotel and read them in the evening, then at least I'll have the option to do so. I may not, and if not, I'll just delete them from my work laptop and read them at home after I get back, so no harm there. The books I loaded are Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale, Ghostwalk, Ed Greenwood Presents: Elminster's Forgotten Realms, Underdark (4e) and Bluffside. Few of those were on my "immediate" to read list, and honestly I picked some of them because the file sizes were small enough that it would be easy to email it to myself to transfer from one machine to another. But all of them are ones that I kind of want to read or re-read. The Nentir Vale one I've actually read not that long ago (within the last couple of years anyway) but reading the Dessarin Valley description part of Princes of the Apocalypse reminded me of it strongly and I wanted to read it again. Ghostwalk wasn't really on my immediate list at all, but why not? It's been a really long time since I read that. I read a physical copy which I borrowed from a neighbor (I used to live two doors down from a fellow gamer) but my version is just a pdf. Ed Greenwood's take on the Realms is a 4e book, but I'm kind of curious to see what that's all about, and if it highlights how his original vision was different than what TSR and WotC ended up publishing. Underdark and Bluffside were on my list, although I probably wasn't going to get to them for a couple of months at the rate I'm going. If they jump ahead, that's OK.

No comments: