Sunday, August 18, 2024

Playing with banners and fonts

I like playing with banners. Not sure why. Also, here's a list of the fonts I use for DFX and EFX projects. Most of them I got from some place like dafonts or some other online archive that's readily available. I try to use royalty free fonts as much as possible, or standard fonts that come with Windows otherwise. There are probably a few exceptions. To be fair, I don't keep track of where I get my fonts. Many of them I've had for literally decades already anyway.

JSL Blackletter has become exceptionally popular in the RPG space in the last few years. Both Labyrinth Lord and ShadowDark use it for their main title, for instance, which has really raised its profile. I've seen it used a lot recently because of that. However, I think 1492 Quadrata lim is extremely similar and just different enough to be a bit unique. 

The X in Dark Fantasy X (and Elemental Fantasy X and Space Opera X) comes from the Anglodavek font. The traditional subheading on the banner; y'know, the fantasy • horror • madness thing has been done with a lot of fonts, but I think YouMurderer BB is probably my favorite. I'll mix it up with ASTRODRAMATIC, and yes, it only has capital letters, or Bleeding Cowboys sometimes, or even Bolide. Although I haven't used Shanked there yet, for something like that is exactly the reason I keep it saved on my font list. And for at least one variant banner I used Odinson before.

That said, banner and title fonts are different from text and subtitle fonts, where you want to be a bit less decorative and a bit more readable. For labels on my character sheet, I've used Primitive, for example, and for heading titles in the rulebook, I've used Benjamin Franklin. Rapscallion, Elric or Crusades would do well there too.

For Elemental Fantasy X, I made the banner out of Advertising Gothic Demo, but I'm not 100% sure that's where I want to go with it, and I've played around with some variations, including 1742Frenchcivlite and Angel. The Angel font, at least as shown, doesn't really highlight very well what it has, because the name is too short and it doesn't have enough letters. But when I type out Elemental Fantasy all the way, it looks wonderful.

Anyway, here's the promised banner variations. Some of them are older, and use fonts that didn't make the cut of my font list, and I no longer consider them on the pre-approved list. And the Space Opera X banners play by a different rules with somewhat different fonts approved.

I've also included, at the very bottom, the Space Opera X list, as an appendix. The final font, however, Adventure, it should be noted, is a copycat font of the Raiders of the Lost Ark poster banner, and works for any kind of pulp adventure.

And both Flash Rogers and Thunderstrike have non-half tone variations, but I tend to use the half tone the most, for whatever reason.

















No comments: