Saturday, September 14, 2024

Final Vanze Maledictus, and backup character Codon Veile

I watched some of my old SWTOR outfit videos, in part because I was raiding my SWTOR characters for names. I do eventually need to re-up my subscription and see how it all goes with SWTOR again, but I'm not quite in the mood for it now. Mostly I enjoyed listening to the White Bat Audio, Xurious, Neon Odin and Lazy Laser synthwave music that I use for my SWTOR outfit videos. I'm almost more interested in doing more outfit videos than I am in playing the actual game, which sounds kinda dumb, but there you are.

Anyway, here's the final image I decided on for Vanze Maledictus:

Just in case he bites it soon, not that I think that that's likely, I created Codon Veile. Codon Veile in my SWTOR game is a Chiss sniper playing the trooper story. Here, he's a blue-skinned air genasi rogue. The DM did tell me that the rogue character will be leaving the game when he moves out of state to get married at the end of the year, so it'll be nice to have a backup.

I do and always have kinda liked the genasi more than I should, perhaps. I suppose that's why I found ways to incorporate them as core races in most of my settings. Maybe a second remix of Eberron, a system neutral one, that replaces many of the races already in the game with planetouched would work quite well. 

Elves > Aasimar (old style; no winged guys)

Dwarves > Earth genasi

Halflings > fire genasi?

Gnomes > tieflings (pre 4e style)

Half-elves > Air genasi

Goblinoids > Orclings

Orcs, Half-orcs > Water genasi

I dunno; it makes a few of the changes sufficient that it would almost require reworking the nation where they are the most common too; especially the Talenta Plains and the Shadow Marches (or is it Marshes? I never can remember.) Maybe I'd be better off using my EFX map after all and just toning down the HoMM3 influences a little bit and playing up the Eberron ones. Maybe using the D&D names for these elemental races rather than my cute attempts to be more HoMM3-ish and call them genies and tritons, and efreets, etc. isn't necessarily the best idea after all.

I really need to get around to scanning that map, don't I?

One advantage of using the more D&D-like names is that it would be easier and more obvious to adapt the EFX setting to D&D if I do. I'm not giving up on preferring my own system and my own setting, but if I'm playing with 5e D&D heads, and I don't yet know the degree to which they're all ingrained with that system, then it might be nice to have an option to bring the setting to them in a different system. 

I almost feel like I'm back to my old Bloodlines Geocities setting development from 2001-2003 or so, though. Truly what comes around goes around.

UPDATE: I'll confirm later, but I'm pretty sure that we're in the beginning of a Hoard of the Dragon Queen run through. 

No comments: